Wootton Telephone System
In the early 1900's, the National Telephone Co. Ltd had a public call office.
In September 1962 an automatic Telephone Exchange costing £30,000 was opened on the north side of Wootton High Street (2020 opposite Brannon Way) to serve 386 subscribers. It replaced a manual telephone exchange housed in what should have been the sitting room on 20 High Street, the home of caretaker-operators Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Smith.
See also: Wootton
- Telephone System(By Admin: last updated - 14 Jul 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.