Railways on the Isle of Wight
- Cowes to Newport - 1862
- Ryde St Johns to Shanklin - 1864 - a horse drawn tram conveyed passengers from St Johns to Ryde Pier Head.
- Shanklin to Ventnor - 1866
- Ryde to Newport - 1875
- Sandown to Newport (Shide/Pan) - 1875
- Shide/Pan to Newport Central - 1879
- Ryde St Johns to Ryde Pier Head - 1880
- Brading to Bembridge - 1882
- Newport to Freshwater - 1889
- Merstone to St. Lawrence - 1897 (extended to Ventnor West, 1900)
1921 - with the 1921 Railway Act, Southern Railways took over all the railways on the island.
1948 - with nationalisation of all UK railways, Southern Railways became part of British Railways.
- Merstone to Ventnor West - 1952
- Brading to Bembridge - 1953
- Newport to Freshwater - 1953
- Newport to Sandown - 1956
- Ryde to Cowes - 1966
- Shanklin - Ventnor 1966