Unlike the rest of England and Wales, the island did not have Turnpike Trusts to maintain roads but by a 1813 Act of Parliament, the Isle of Wight Highways Commission was established.
The Commissioners had the responsibility for maintaining the roads (except those within the Borough of Newport) and was empowered to erect tollgates/bars and levy tolls. The tolls were abolished in 1889 when there were 25 points for collecting tolls on the Island. Following this loss of income, the Commissioners were funded by Southampton County Council until they were abolished.
The Highways Commission was abolished in 1894 and responsibility for the island roads passed to the then recently created Isle of Wight County Council.