Wellow Literary Institute
In 1892 the Wellow Literary Institute was accommodated in a cottage at Wellow made available to them by the Miss Whites of Shanklin. At that time the Institute was "for the literary and intellectual advancement of the people of Wellow and area." It had also established a benefit club in 1889 offering sick pay and funeral payment its members. By 1892 there were so many members that it was decided that a larger building was required.
A larger, permanent building was opened in 1894, the Misses White, ladies of the manor and members of the White-Popham family contributed towards the building fund.
In 1983, after a number of years of non-use, there was a proposal to demolish the Institute building and build a couple of bungalows. However, the locals, and those from the surrounding area opposed the plans and acquired the building for community use.
Today (2020) the building is run by a charity who offers the hall for rent and provides many social events.
See also: Wellow(By Admin: last updated - 11 Nov 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.