Newport Telephone System
In the late 1890's, the National Telephone Co. Ltd had a call office at 60 Lugley Street (note, the house numbering was subsequently changed to 16).
In October 1916, the manual switchboard was moved to the Post Office (then 99 High Street). At this time it had the capacity for 300 subscribers.
In February 1938 an automatic Telephone Exchange was opened in Crocker Street to serve circa 800 subscribers. It replaced a manual telephone exchange housed in Newport Post Office in Lugley Street.
See also: Newport
- Telephone System(By Admin: last updated - 29 Nov 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.