Medina/Studio 1/Picturedome Cinema, Newport
The Medina Cinema on Newport High Street was built in 1935 with an art deco frontage on the site of the Medina Hall which had opened in the 1880's - the 1911 Kelly's street direction lists The Champion Animated Picture Co. cinematograph proprietors.
It had 1000 seats and opened in April 1936.
In 1966 it was split into two forming a cinema and a Bingo hall and the cinema was renamed Studio 1. The Bingo hall was closed in 1987.
The cinema was renamed Picturedome in 1994 with 2 screens.
The cinema closed in 2000 when the nearby Cineworld complex opened.
The building was used for some time as a Yates' Wine Bar; today (2019) it's a Slug & Lettuce.
See also: Cinemas
- NewportAnother resource: Cinema Treasures(By : last updated - 26 Oct 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.