Havenstreet Gas Works
Havenstreet Gas Works - OS map 1907
The Havenstreet (or (Haven Street) gas works was alongside the railway line, on the opposite side to the station and was established in 1886 by John Rylands, a Manchester industrialist, who had previously built Longford House.
A siding was added to the railway to supply coal direct to the work.
The gas works closed in the 1920's.
Today (2020) the site is largely under the car park of the heritage railway, a few of the original buildings have been incorporated into the modern facilities.
See also: Havenstreet
- Gas Works(By Admin: last updated - 11 Nov 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.