Cowes Gas works
The Cowes Gas Light and Coke Company supplied gas to the Cowes and Northwood areas. The works was between Arctic Road and the river Medina.
The company was nationalised in 1949 and became part of the Southern Gas Board.
The works closed in 1957 when a new Gas Works was built at Kingston, East Cowes to supply the whole island.
The gasometer continued to be used, to locally store the gas, until the cross solent gas main was laid in the 1970's to supply the island with Natural (North Sea) gas.
See also: Cowes
- Gas Works(By Admin: last updated - 22 Feb 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.