From the mid 19th centaury, local gas works were established across the Isle of Wight. Initially they mainly supplied coal gas to the local towns to light the streets, later their gas was distributed to homes and businesses to provide light and heating.
The various local companies were nationalised in 1949 and became part of the Southern Gas Board.
The local works closed in 1957 when a new Gas Works was built at Kingston, East Cowes (opened May 1957) to supply the whole island.
In the 1970's a cross Solent gas main was laid to supply the island with Natural (North Sea) gas and the Kingston Gas Works closed..
Pages in category ‘Gas Works’
The following 12 pages are in this category, out of 12 total.