Yarborough Monument (The), Culver Down
The Grade II listed Yarborough monument was erected in 1849 by public subscription in memory of Charles Anderson Pelham, 2nd Earl of Yarborough.
Lord Yarborough lived at Appuldurcombe House, Wroxall, which had been inherited by Henrietta, his wife, from her uncle, Sir Richard Worsley.
In 1825 he has been appointed the first Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes and during his time in that position, the popularity of yachting, and membership of the Squadron had grown.
After his sudden death in 1846, the committee of the Squadron proposed a ‘Nautical Monument’ or ‘Sea Mark’ in his memory and contributed £200 towards the cost – the Yarborough Monument was the result.
The monument had originally been erected further to the west on top of the Bembridge Down but was moved to its current position in 1867 to make way for the Bembridge Down Fort which was part of Lord Palmerston’s defence system for the Solent.
Inscriptions on the monument read:
TO THE MEMORY
CHARLES ANDERSON PELHAM
EARL OF YARBOROUGH
OF YARBOROUGH IN THE COUNTY OF LINCOLN
OF APPULDURCOMBE IN THE ISLE OF WIGHT
D.C.L. F.R.S. F.S.A.
WHOSE BENEVOLENCE KINDNESS, HEART
ENDEARED HIM TO ALL WHO KNEW HIM
AS TESTIMONY AFFECTION AND RESPECT
BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
AS THE OWNER OF LARGE ESTATES
HE WAS ONE OF THOSE MOST CONSPICUOUS
FOR THE QUALITIES
WHICH PECULIARLY ADORN THAT STATION
AS THE FIRST COMMODORE
OF THE ROYAL YACHT SQUADRON
HE WAS EMINENT
IN FOSTERING AND ENCOURAGING
BY HIS EXAMPLE AND LIBERALITY
ALL THAT WAS CALCULATED
THE SCIENCE OF NAVAL ARCHITECTURE
AND TO ADVANCE
THE MARITIME INTERESTS OF HIS COUNTRY
HE DIED ON BOARD HIS YACHT
IN THE PORT OF VIGO IN SPAIN
SEPTEMBER 5TH 1846