St Johns Gothic Folly
This seven sided mock Gothic folly stand, now surrounded by trees, at the bottom of the grounds of St. John's House, Ryde, Isle of Wight.
The grounds of St. John's Park were laid out by Humphry Repton in the late 18th century, and this folly possibly dates from that time when it would have been visible from the house. However, it is now hidden by the trees surrounding it.
The 1897 OS map appears to show the folly and a small, rectangular structure to the east of it.
Each side features a 'blind' tall, lancet arched window - there is no entrance into the folly.
The folly is now (2020) within the fence surrounding the grounds of St. John's House (now Oakfield Church of England Primary School) and is increasingly covered in ivy.
The folly can be seen through the fence, off the path between Amphill Road/Appley Rise and Appley Lane along the bottom of the grounds.