Priory Mill, Carisbrooke

From Wightpedia
Priory Mill, Carisbrooke - 1864 map.
Priory Mill, Carisbrooke - 1864 map

Priory Watermill stood on the Lukely Brook between Carisbrooke Mill and West Mill.

The mill was purchased by the Newport and Carisbrooke Water Company in 1848 and waterworks were established on the site to supply fresh water to Newport.

The Borough of Newport purchased the company in 1876.

Carisbrooke waterworks
Carisbrooke waterworks

In 1951 the Isle of Wight Water Board was established and took over responsibilities for the waterworks. In turn, the Island Water Board was absorbed into the Southern Water Board in 1965, and in 1989 that company was privatised as Southern Water plc.

Today the waterworks buildings bear no resemblance to the original watermill although the Mill Cottage remains by the side of Carisbrooke High Street.

Priory Mill Cottage, Carisbrooke
Priory Mill Cottage, Carisbrooke

The mill pond remains today largely as it would have been over the years.

Priory Mill Pond - from the site of the mill
Priory Mill Pond, Carisbrooke - from the site of the mill