Newport Street Names
Large parts of today's Newport, Isle of Wight were previously part of the parish of Carisbrooke. If you can't find something here, have a look at the Carisbrooke Street Names.
Carisbrooke Road, Carisbrooke - Newport
Carisbrooke Road runs from the junction of Newport High Street/Castlehold and Pyle Street to Cedar Hill.
At some point at the beginning of the 20th century the house numbering changed, the 1904 Kellys Directory has the numbering from Castlehold/Pyle Street sequentially (with some house names) up the south side to Cedar Hill, then back down the other side to the Baptist Church.
The 1931 Directory has the odd numbers on the South side and even numbers on the North side - both starting at Castlehold/Pyle Street and going to Cedar hill. This latter method exists today (2019), although individual house numbers will have changed due to new builds etc (numbering of Tannery/Lukely Place has been incorporated within the overall road numbering.)
Castlehold is the name for part of Upper High Street Newport which was part of the Parish of St Nicholas with the parish church St Nicholas located in Carisbrooke Castle - thirteen areas scattered across the Island made up the St Nicholas parish.
The original 'Castlehold' area in Newport was roughly half a block either side of the High Street from the corner with Mill Street to about three quarters of the way to St James Street, slightly less on the south side.
Later, after it was absorbed into the Borough of Newport, the name Castlehold was still used but the extent became less clear, Newport Baptist Church is referred to as being in Castlehold but is outside the original area. Depending on the authorship and date, reference to Castlehold could be taken as meaning from the junction with Pyle Street to Post Office Lane/Castlehold Lane or alternatively the complete Upper High Street from Drill Hall Road to St James Square.
Today (2016), a Castlehold boundary stone can be found built into a building in the Upper High Street, just below the Upper Almshouses.
Church Place, Newport
Church Place was the old name for Upper Holyrood Street (from the High Street to Lugley Street). The name was changed by the Corporation's Paving Committee in 1861.
Clarke's Lane, Newport
Clarke's Lane was an old name for the current (2019) Post Office Lane between the High Street and Lugley Street (Clarke's Lane shown in 1904 & 1931 Kelly's directory)
Commercial Road, Newport
Commercial Road, sometimes used to identify Scarrot's Lane (1960 Telephone Directory - also seen on some maps).
Cornmarket (The), Newport
The Cornmarket was the old name for St Thomas' Square. The name was changed by the Corporation's Paving Committee in 1861.
Cosham Street, Newport
Cosham Street, Newport - Victorian name for modern day South street, Newport, so named after the Manor of Cosham. The manor house stood on the eastern corner of the South Street/Church Litten junction - the house was demolished circa 1851.
Deadmans Lane, Newport
Deadmans Lane - An old name for Trafalgar Road, Newport/Carisbrooke. The story goes that in 1377 a party of French invaders were ambushed in this area and all were killed, thus 'Deadmans Lane'. The name was changed by the Corporation's Paving Committee in 1861.
Horsemonger Lane, Newport
Horsemonger Lane had previously been known as West Lane and then in 1861, it was renamed Mill Street, as it remains today(2019). The name change in 1861 was by the Corporation's Paving Committee.
Laundry Lane, Carisbrooke
Laundry Lane appears to have originally (19th C) been known as Bedford Row. The 1911 Kelly's directory records 'Newport, Carisbrooke & District Steam Laundry Co. Limited' located in Bedford row (on the site of the previous brewery) which is, no doubt, the origins of 'Laundry Lane.'
Lower Field Place
See Upper & Lower Field Place below.
Lower St James' Street
See St James' Street
Millbrook (Millbrooke) Terrace (Place)
Millbrook (or Millbrooke) Terrace (or Place) (1 to 5), is the old name for the terrace of Victorian houses, now numbered 120 to 128 Carisbrooke Road, to the east of Westmill Cottage.
New Cut, Newport
New Cut, Newport was a short section of road (4 properties in Kellys 1935 street directory) between the west end of Scarrots Lane and Pyle Street; now part of New Street. There was a building between New Cut and New Street which has since been demolished, thus the whole length now forms New Street.
Nodehill was the old name for Upper St James Street, the name was changed by the Corporation's Paving Committee in 1861.
The origin of 'Nodehill' is believed to be a corruption of 'Noddies Hill', marking the place where the heads of the Frenchmen slaughtered in Deadmens Lane in 1377 were placed on spikes.
Despite the official name change, the area is still referred to as Nodehill.
North Street, Newport
North Street, Newport - the former name of Crocker Street
One suggested origin for the new name was that a by-law was passed to make all 'Crockers' (i.e. potters, those who make pots) move to the edge of town near to water (the Lugley Brook) to reduce the danger of fire - most house in the town would have been thatched.
An alternative put forward by Eldridge in 'Newport in Bygone Days' was a 17th century family named Crocker; certainly the Newport Parish Burial Register records a number of burial for those named 'Croker' between 1600 and 1687.
Orchard Lane, Newport
Orchard Lane was an old name for the current (2019) Bowling Green Lane between Upper St James' Street and Orchard Street (Orchard Lane shown in 1904, 1931 & 1951 Kelly's directory)
Paradise Row, Newport
Paradise Row is an old name for the pedestrian lane between Upper High Street and Pyle Street Newport, now known as Castlehold Lane.
Pittis's Field, Newport
Pittis's Field - Used in some Victorian references to refer to a development off Trafalgar Road Newport formed by East View, South View and West View.
The 1841 Tithe Maps shows the field to have been owned by a Mr Pittis.
The development was in Carisbrooke but now (2017) considered Newport.
Rag Row, Carisbrooke
Rag Row, Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight was a terrace of houses on the north-west side of modern-day Laundry Lane. Some records identified it as Bedford Row. The 1871 census records 15 households; they are not shown on the 1898 OS map. The terrace has been replaced by a terrace of modern houses.
Russell Street, Newport
Russell Street, Newport, Isle of Wight was the old name for Orchard Street, Newport. The name was changed by the Corporation's Paving Committee in 1861.
St James’ Street, Newport
St James’ Street – the main north/south street through Newport from the Town Gate bridge to St John’s Place. The property numbering runs along the East side from Town Gate bridge to St John’s place and then back along the West side.
At various times the street has been identified as three separate sections, although the property numbering remained the same:
Lower St James’ street – from Town Gate bridge to High street – to 18 east side, from 109 west side.
St James’ square – from High street to Pyle street – from 18a to 25 east side, 102 to 108 west side.
Upper St James' street – from Pyle street to St John’s Place – from 26 to 101.
Shide Road (Path), Newport
Shide Road (Town Plan 1880, Shide Path OS 1898), Newport was the old name for Medina Avenue from St. John's Road to Shide railway station. The Medina Avenue name first appears on OS map 1909.
Shispoole Street, Newport
Shispoole Street, Newport was the original name for the part of Sea Street between Quay Street and Holyrood Street.
South Mall, Carisbrooke
South Mall, Carisbrooke was the name given to the houses along the mall (raised footway) on the east side of St. John's Road from Medina Avenue (Shide Path) to Cypress Cottage.
Tin Pit Lane, Carisbrooke - Newport
Tin Pit Lane - the Victorian name for Worsley Road, Newport (1866 OS map).
Upper Field Place and Lower Field Place, Newport
Upper Field Place and Lower Field Place of the Victorian and early 20th century are today (2019) 'Field Place' and 'Cavendish Place' respectively.
Upper St James' Street
See St James' Street
Wall End Terrace, Newport
Wall End Terrace, Newport, Isle of Wight was the old name for St John's Place, Newport. The name was changed by the Corporation's Paving Committee in 1861.
- Isle of Wight County Record Office