The Ashey Board School, with teacher's residence, was built by Ryde School Board in 1876 for 75 children to the design of Ryde architect Mr. Francis Newman.
The school and residence are on Ashey Road, between Green Lane and East Ashey Lane; the 1864 OS map shows a building on the site marked 'Asheyrents'.
In 1876 Miss Marion Boyne was appointed mistress of the new school at a salary of £50 a-year, one-fourth of fees and grant, with residence, coal and wood; the fees at Ashey School were fixed at 2d per week.
In 1898 the Ashey Board mixed school had an average attendance of 37.
In 1911 the school was a mixed Elementary School with average attendance of 40.
In 1916, the head teacher resigned and the Isle of Wight County Education Committee decided to close the school as attendance had fallen to 29. The pupils would be divided between Bettesworth Road, Oakfield, Brading and Havenstreet schools, the assistant teacher at Ashey would be transferred to Havenstreet school. With those going to Havenstreet school using the train from Ashey station, only one pupil would have further to walk than attending Ashey school.
Today (2021) the school buildings are private residences.
- Hampshire Advertiser - 6 May 1876
- 1898 Kelly's Hampshire and Isle of Wight Directory
- 1911 Kelly's Hampshire and Isle of Wight Directory
- Isle of Wight County Press - 18 November 1916