Yarmouth electricity supply
Unlike most of the rest of the Island, electricity supplies to Yarmouth were supplied by a local company.
A 1898 trade directory shows the Yarmouth (IW) Electricity Supply Company as existing, a 1911 directory shows the address as Laundry Lane (now Heytesbury Road) Yarmouth.
The electricity was generated at a Power Station on the IW and Lymington Steam Laundry site - the electricity supply company was in fact a 'sister' company.
In 1926, the company applied for permission to supply electricity to 'the parish of Yarmouth and as much of the parishes of Thorley and Shalfleet north of the railway between Yarmouth and Newport' - possibly this was extending the area covered.
By 1931, the IW Electric Light Company appears to have taken over responsibility, and presumably, the power station had been closed, although the laundry continued on the site. In September 1933, the London Gazette includes an announcement of the voluntary liquidation of the Yarmouth (IW) Electricity Supply Company.
After the laundry did close, the building was used by an engineering company - a 1976 map shows it as a Glass Fibre Moulding Works.
The building has now been demolished and the site redeveloped with housing.