St Clare, Ryde
St. Clare Castle was a castellated mansion in Appley on the coast, about a mile east of Ryde. Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort visited several times, while Princess Alice and Prince Louis honeymooned at St. Clare in 1862.
It was the seat of Colonel Francis Vernon-Harcourt: 'the Marine Villa of the Rt.Hon. Lord Vernon'.
After WW2, the St Clare estate was purchased by Warners Holidays and run as a holiday camp.
The castle was demolished in 1960 after a fire.
Today (2021) the two lodges remain and the site is being developed.