Shanklin, Parochial Schools, Albert Road

From Wightpedia

The site for the Parochial school, Albert road, Shanklin was given by Mr. Frances White Popham, the Lord of the manor of Shanklin in 1871. A subscription was raised to fund the building, the list being headed by the Dowager Lady Hatherton with a contribution of £500. Mr. A. W. Bloomfield, of London was asked to provide plans and estimates for a building to contain 300 children, arranged for boys, girls and infants in separate schoolrooms, lavatories, and out-premises (playgrounds), for each, and the master's residence being detached adjacent to the schools.

The works were commenced in June 1871, the contractor being Mr. F. Cooper, of Shanklin, the contract sum being £1,650 excluding fences etc.; on the 11th August a suitably inscribed foundation stone was laid by the Dowager Lady Hatherton, in the presence of the Lord Bishop of Winchester and a considerable assembly.[1]

The 1898 Kelly's directory includes the schools, listing the teachers as Richard Young, master, Miss Emily Duckham, mistress, and Miss Isabella Barham, infants' mistress and describes the schools as 'for about 430 children; average attendance 120 boys, 150 girls, 143 infants.'

The 1911 Kelly's directory identifies the schools as 'Elementary Schools' with teachers Edward B. Bassett, master, Miss Nellie Allen, mistress, and Mrs. Alice Macqueen, infants; mistress and gives the average attendances 148 boys, 120 girls, 120 infants.

The 1935 Kelly's directory lists the schools as the C of E Elementary school, with Miss N. M. Allen, head mistress.

The 1951 Kelly's directory lists the schools as the C of E Primary School, with E. J. Gent the head master.

2023 the school, in modern buildings, is St Blasius Shanklin Church of England Primary Academy.

  1. Hampshire Advertiser - 30 August 1871