RNAS Bembridge - WW1 Seaplane station
In 1916, during WW1, a Seaplane base was established at Bembridge Point, adjacent to the, then existing, Royal Spithead Hotel (site now Solent Landings).
The aircraft types were Short types 184 and 320 seaplanes and were used for anti-submarine patrols over the Solent and English Channel. The station faced onto the Solent and consisted of just a concrete apron with a hanger to store and maintain the aircraft - the personnel were housed in various billets around the village.
After WWI, the station became less important and eventually closed in 1920.
The hanger was sold and transported to Shanklin Esplanade where it can be seen today being the core building of the Summer Arcade - the date 1921 can be seen on the front gable.