K1 Telephone Kiosk, Bembridge
This Grade II listed, classic design of a telephone kiosk by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1921 stands at the junction of Sherborne Street and the High Street, Bembridge, Isle of Wight.
This is probably the only surviving K1 Telephone Kiosk outside of Kingston-upon-Hull - although another one is situated in the abandoned Dorset 'ghost village' of Tyneham, which was taken over by the military in 1943 for use as a firing range for training troops prior to D-Day.
The listed description is: "Telephone kiosk. 1921 K1 design. Three sides are of concrete with two sides having metal windows and fourth side has wooden door. Concrete frame has moulded cornice and tented canopy surmounted by metal finial and four metal plaques with the word 'Telephone'. Plinth. Two eight- paned metal framed sashes with perspex panes. Wooden eight-paned door with leather hinges. Telephone apparatus is modern."