Isle of Wight Zoo
Previously known as Sandown Zoo, the zoo was established in the 1950's within the ruins of a Victorian Fort, the fortifications still make up the majority of the side facing the road
By the 1970's it had fallen into disrepair, and had a very poor reputation for care of its animals.
In 1976 the zoo was taken over by a new owner Jack Corney, and was rebuilt over the following years as a sanctuary for big cats and primates.
Following Jack Corney's death in 2003 the zoo was run by his daughter, Charlotte. In 2017 the ownership was transferred to 'The Wildheart Trust', a charity.