Gridiron Building, East Cowes
The Gridiron Building on Castle Street, East Cowes was acquired by Messrs. J. S. White and Co., and converted into an 'aeroplane shed' in which their Aviation Department built their first 'aero-hydroplane' in 1913. Later the company moved production to West Cowes.
The side of the building facing onto the river Medina is comprised of four large doors, with the sill cut-away in the center. From this cut-away section, two metal beams extend into the river.
The building is Grade II listed.
Later the shed was used for boatbuilding, including for a period by Clare Lallow.
- Isle of Wight County Press, 3 May 1913
- British Listed Buildings, Clare Lallow's Grid Iron Yard