Freshwater Street Names

From Wightpedia

Freshwater, Isle of Wight streets which have changed their names.

Doves Lane, Freshwater, Isle of Wight (1898 OS map) - later (1909 and 1946 OS maps) Station Road - see below.

New Road Easton, Freshwater, Isle of Wight is shown on the 1898 OS map; the 1909 OS map shows it as Guyers Road. New Road, Freshwater, Isle of Wight is shown on the 1898 and 1909 OS maps; the 1946 OS map shows it as Avenue Road.

Prince of Wales Road, Freshwater, Isle of Wight is shown on the 1898 OS map; on the 1909 OS map the road is shown as 'Princes Road'. As late as 1980, 'Princes Road' is shown as extending beyond The Avenue to Clayton Road; today (2021), the section from The Avenue to Clayton Road is known as 'Upper Princes Road'.

Station Road (1909 and 1946 OS maps) from Tennyson Road to Freshwater railway station (Bow Bridge). 1970 OS map shows the section in front of the Library as 'Station Road', the eastern section as 'School Green Road'. Now, School Green Road is the full length of road from Tennyson Road to Bow Bridge.