Freshwater, Windmill Lane School
Sometimes referred to as being in Queens Road, Freshwater, Isle of Wight, the school was originally built by the Isle of Wight Education Committee in 1906 as a Council Elementary School. In 1911 the accommodation was for 210 local children and the average attendance was 166.
With the introduction of 11-plus education system in 1946, the school became the West Wight Secondary Modern and included a farm for Agricultural Education. Local pupils who passed the 11-plus would have attended the Newport County Grammar School, which later moved to new buildings and became Carisbrooke Grammar School
Following the reorganisation of the Island schools into three tiers in 1971, the school changed to the West Wight Middle School catering for 9 to 13 year old children.
Following another reorganisation of the Island schools system in 2011, the school became surplus to requirements and was closed.
The school has now been demolished and the site developed with housing.
Past pupils and staff have erected a memorial to the schools at the entrance to Windmill Lane off Queen’s Road.
PLACED BY PAST
PUPILS & STAFF
TO MARK THE
OF OUR LOCAL SCHOOL
SECONDARY MODERN &
MIDDLE 1971 - 2011
- Kellys Hampshire and Isle of Wight 1911 directory