Apse Heath Brick Works
Apse Heath Brick Works, on the Ventnor Road between Apse Heath crossroads and Whiteley Bank, on the Isle of Wight.
The Brick Works are shown on OS maps from 1898 to 1938; the 1962 has the site marked as just a 'Works'.
The 1898 Kelly's Directory has the brickmaker as John Mew & Son, and the 1911 directory as just John Mew.
In 1938 the works were advertising for a Horse 'suitable for pug mill.'
The Apse Heath Brick Company merged with the Gunville Brick and Tile Company in 1940, shortly before the death of Ernest John Mew.
By 1971 the pond was known as 'Gear Gap pond' and had been stocked with freshwater fish for local anglers.
- Isle of Wight County Press - 12 March 1938
- Isle of Wight County Press - 14 September 1940