Appley Pier

From Wightpedia
Appley Towers' pier
Appley Pier - 1907 map

Shortly after acquiring the Appley Towers estate in 1873, Sir William Hutt, K.C.B., M.P. constructed a pier a short distance east of the estate's slipway for the use of his family.[1]

The pier was only about 100ft long and could only be used at high tide as it didn't reach beyond the sands exposed by the outgoing tide.

The pier is included in the sales particulars when the estate was sold in 1910,[2] it is reputed to have been removed the following year.[3]

  1. Hampshire Telegraph - 24 September 1873
  2. Isle of Wight Observer - 9 July 1910
  3. Isle of Wight County Press - 23 December 2011 (Only here for the piers)