Yarmouth Gas Works
The Yarmouth Gas Works was built in 1860 'near the Mill of Mr. Blake, who is also proprietor of the gas works'.
Yarmouth Gas Works 1862
Coal would have been delivered to the Gas Works via barge to the adjacent quay.
It was a fairly small Gas Works; in 1899 when there was a proposal to build another Gas Works on the other side of the Yar estuary, the Yarmouth Gas Works was referred to as 'not of sufficient capacity to supply the proposed district [Freshwater and Totland] - they were a mere toy.'
The company was nationalised in 1949 and became part of the Southern Gas Board.
The works possibly closed when a cross Solent gas main was laid in the 1970's to supply the island with Natural (North Sea) gas,
The site is now (2019) appears to be undeveloped garden..
See also: Yarmouth
- Gas Works
source: IW Observer, 25 August 1860/ IWCP 4 March 1899(By : last updated - 10 Jun 2019)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.