White (J Samuel), Cowes
In 1803 Thomas White moved, with his family, from Broadstairs in Kent to Cowes. Over the following years, Thomas and his sons ran individually and in partnership various shipyards at East and West Cowes. It was in 1860 that all the yards were combined under the name 'J.Samuel White'. So, strictly speaking, vessels built before 1860 were produced by shipyards operated by members of the White family, not by 'J.Samuel White'.
In 1961, White's purchased local J Arthur Dixon, printers of postcards, greeting cards etc.
Other attempts at diversification were also attempted as shipbuilding declined.
In 1974, J. Samuel White's were taken over by Elliott & Co., a subsidiary of the International Carrier Corporation of Syracuse, N.Y. USA and the company traded as Elliott Turbomachinery.
The new company divested itself of peripheral interests - the J Arthur Dixon option was sold to the Dickinson Robinson Group Ltd.
See also: Shipbuilders
- Cowes(By Admin: last updated - 10 Nov 2018)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.