Victoria Methodist Chapel/Apollo Theatre
The Apollo Theatre, originally the Victoria Methodist Chapel
Opened in 1803 as the Victoria Methodist Chapel on Pyle Street, Newport, the grade 2* building operated until 1969, latterly, after the reunification of the Methodist movement, it was known as the Pyle Street Methodist Chapel.
The Newport Repertory Club was established in the early 1950's using variour halls around Newport. By the late 1970's the need for a permanent home for the Newport Repertory Club led to the acquisition of the chapel and the formation of the Apollo Theatre Charity in 1970. This coincided with the American Apollo moon landing and hence the name. The Apollo Theatre Players were the resident, amateur, company of players.
See also: Newport
- TheatresAnother resource: Apollo Theatre official website(By Admin: last updated - 21 Oct 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.