Ventnor Theatre/Old Town Hall building (2019)
The Grade 2 listed Ventnor Theatre was built on Albert Street in 1877 as The Assembly Rooms capable of seating 800. They were used for lectures and entertainments, and had a licence for dramatic performances.
Subsequently it was purchased by Ventnor Urban District Council and used as the Town Hall together with the facilities offered by The Assembly Rooms.
In 1971 the building was used by a light manufacturing company.
In 1975 the building was converted and opened as a Nightclub (The Coconut Grove).
The building was gutted by fire in 1978 and the shell was converted to flats. Today (2019) the building is know as 'The Old Town Hall'.
See also: Ventnor
- Theatres(By Admin: last updated - 25 Oct 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.