In 1878, the naval training ship HMS Eurydice was wreaked in Sandown Bay with the loss of 300 lives, this prompted a need for a lifeboat.
A lifeboat provided by the Isle of Wight Sunday School Lifeboat Fund was put on station in 1884.
A wooden boathouse was built at the bottom of Chine Hill to house the 28ft, Lamb and White lifeboat built in 1868 and transferred from Totland.
During a storm in 1916 the boat was washed out of the boathouse and wreaked. The boat was not replaced and the station closed.
The Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat was formed in 1972 and operates inshore lifeboats from Sandown Esplanade.