Shanklin & district water works
The Shanklin water works was established in the late 1860's by the Shanklin Local Board.
In July 1893, 4 workman died while building a new well in Greatwoods when they encountered poisonous vapour at the depth of 200ft.
The Shanklin Urban District Council (formed under the Local Government Act of 1894) supplied (1914) water to part of the Shanklin UDC, part of the parish of Gatcombe (part of IW Rural District), and also the IW Rural District.
Supplies were from springs intercepted underground at Greatwoods at Shanklin, Crossmeadow at Wroxall and Chillerton.
Greatwoods Reservoirs (1896)
Reservoirs were at Greatwoods and Chillerton.
Chillerton Reservoir (1907)
The Sandown Urban District Council purchased the company in 1928. Under the Local Government Act of 1933, Sandown and Shanklin UDC's merged and the water supply of both came together.
In 1951 the Isle of Wight Water Board took over responsibilities.
See also: Water Supply
- Shanklin(By Admin: last updated - 10 Mar 2021)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.