Sandown/Shanklin Power Station
In 1899 the Ventnor Electric Light and Power Ltd. applied to supply electricity to Sandown and Shanklin area. A Power Station was established at Skew Bridge, next to the railway line.
Prior to WWII, the Power Station at Kingston had sufficient capacity to supply the entire Island, so the small stations, including the one at Skew Bridge were closed.
After closure, the building was used to manufacture ice cream by Farmers Dairy. This closed circa 1980, the building was demolished and the site developed as Bayview Court.
See also: Electricity Supply
- Power Stations
- Shanklin(By Admin: last updated - 2 Oct 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.