Sandown Gas Works
Sandown Gas Works - OS map 1907
The Sandown Gas & Coke Co. Lim. gas works was alongside Avenue Road was established in 1862
In 1937, the company was wound up following its amalgamation with the Shanklin & Ventnor Gas Company, (The London Gazette, 5 Oct. 1937) and the company was renames the East Wight Gas Company.
The company was nationalised in 1949 and became part of the Southern Gas Board.
The works closed in 1957 when a new Gas Works was built at Kingston, East Cowes to supply the whole island.
The gasometers continued to be used at the Sandown site, to locally store the gas, until the installation of a cross Solent gas main in the 1970's to supply the island with Natural (North Sea) gas.
After closure, the site was used as an industrial estate.
See also: Sandown
- Gas Works(By Admin: last updated - 10 Nov 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.