Roads on the Island
Unlike the rest of England and Wales, the island did not have Turnpike Trusts to maintain roads but by a 1813 Act of Parliament, the Isle of Wight Highways Commission was established.
This Commission had the responsibility to maintain the roads (except those within the Borough of Newport) and was empowered to erect tollgates/bars and levy tolls.
By the time tolls were abolished in 1889, there were about 50 tollgates/bars across the island.
The Highways Commissions was abolished in 1894 and responsibility passed to then recently created County Council.
See also: Highways(By Admin: last updated - 6 Aug 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.