Odeon/Savoy Cinema, Newport
The Art Deco Odeon Cinema, on the corner of Town Lane and Pyle street opened in 1936.
9 May 1959 Programme
It was taken over by IW Theatres in 1961 and renamed 'The Savoy'.
Once the Commodore Cinema in Ryde was split into 3 screens and a Bingo Club, the Savoy was the largest cinema on the island.
The cinema was closed in 1982 and subsequent demolished. The site was redeveloped as housing (Savoy Court) with a retail unit at street level.
See also: Cinemas
- NewportAnother resource: Cinema Treasures(By : last updated - 27 Jul 2019)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.