Newport (Fairlee) Cemetery
The Newport Cemetery, on the Fairlee Road, was established in 1858 on land in the then neighbouring parish of Whippingham with some help by the Royal Estate at Osborne; at the time the Newport Burial Ground at Church Litten was becoming full.
In 1974 the cemetery came under Medina Borough Council; in 1995, it was taken over by the Isle of Wight Council following the creation of the IW Unitary Authority.
The Friends of Newport and Carisbrooke Cemetery was formed in 2017 by volunteers wanting to care for the old burials and record the history of those buried there. Their website includes much useful information including details of burial, often with pictures graves, details of memorial inscriptions and transcriptions of newspaper obituaries etc.
See also: Newport
- CemeteriesOther resources: Friends of Newport & Carisbrooke Cemeteries Isle of Wight Council - Bereavement Services(By : last updated - 25 Jul 2019)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.