Isle of Wight County Council
The Local Government Act of 1888 introduced County Councils into England and Wales. At the start, the Isle of Wight was part of Hampshire County Council. In 1890 the Island was granted it's own County status, and the Isle of Wight County Council was established.
To begin with the county council occupied premises at 20 Holyrood Street, Newport, later they moved into the Swan Hotel and neighbouring properties in Newport High Street.
In the 1930's, the Swan Hotel and the neighbouring properties were demolished and the purpose built County Hall was erected.
In the 1960's, the council acquired, and demolished, the properties east of the County Hall to Sea Street, and County Hall was extended.
In 1995 a Unitary Authority, the Isle of Wight Council, was formed to combine the responsibilities of the Isle of Wight County Council and the two Borough councils,
See also: Councils(By Admin: last updated - 14 Feb 2021)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.