House of Industry (Workhouse)
Main entrance to House of Industry (2018)
The House of Industry at Parkhurst, then in the parish of Carisbrooke, was built in 1771 as the 'workhouse' for the whole of the Island. It was administered by a Board of Guardians appointed for each parish, the board also administered 'out relief' for the poor within each parish.
See also: House Of Industry
- WorkhouseAnother resource: IW Hospitals - The House of Industry(By Admin: last updated - 4 Feb 2021)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.