Electricity supply for St Helens
Electricity Distribution Unit
Unlike most of the rest of the Island, electricity supplies to St Helens were supplied by a local company. In 1899, 'Edmund Ironside Bax and others' applied for permission to supply electricity 'within the Urban District of St Helens' - the roads defined in the order cover Seaview and the St Johns' area.
Nothing has been found about a generation plant, a 1911 trade directory gives the address of St Helen's Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. as Bennett Street, Ryde - the same road where IW Electric Light Company had a generating plant, so possible the St Helens company was a distributing company rather that a generating company.
Electricity Distribution Unit at Oakhill Road (possibly St Helen's Electric Lighting Co. Ltd.)
A Seaview Electricity Supply 'Distribution Unit', possibly from the time of the St Helen's Electric Lighting Co. Ltd., exists at the top of Oakhill Road, a similar unit existed until a few years ago in Seaview at the junction of Old Seaview Lane and Church Street.
By 1931, the company had been taken over by the IW Electric Light Company.
See also: Electricity Supply
- St Helens(By Admin: last updated - 2 Oct 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.