East Cowes Gas Works
The original East Cowes Gas Works were built in 1859 between Clarence Road and the river.
An accident in 1862 killed 2 people.
A new Gas works was built in Kingston Road during the 1920/30's and the original site then became a boat yard; later becoming part of Saunders-Roe (subsequently known as Westland Aerospace, GKN).
When the UK gas industry was nationalised in 1948, the company became part of the Southern Gas Board.
The Kingston Road Works were enlarged 1956/7 so that it could supply gas to the whole island with coal delivered to its riverside location by barge.
The works closed in the 1970's when the island was converted to Natural Gas (North Sea) through a cross Solent pipeline.
See also: East Cowes
- Gas Works(By Admin: last updated - 16 Aug 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.