Cement Works, Brading
The Brading Cement works began operations in the mid 19th century, it was located at the end of Wall Lane (today's Quay Lane) by the then town quay - the Bembridge embankment had not yet been built and ships could still come this far inland. A railway spur from the IW Railway's Ryde/ Ventnor line was in place to serve Brading Quay, and this line could have also served the Cement Works (the spur would later be extended to St Helens and on to Bembridge when the embankment was built).
The raw materials were limestone and clay dug from a pit to the west of the site. The site operated until around 1900 and was again in operation for a period between the two world wars.
In the 1951 Kelly's Directory, "Solent Portland Cement Co. Ltd - lime burners & Mfrs. & brick mkrs." is listed on the site.
Today the site has been built on and there is no evidence that it ever existed.
See also: Cement Works
- Brickmaking(By Admin: last updated - 30 Jul 2019)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.