Bonchurch Grotto (Capt. Mark Huish)
Bonchurch Village Road grotto
Located on the north side of Bonchurch Village Road, just to the east of the pond is a grotto built into the wall. Commissioned in 1868 by the widow of Captain Mark Huish (1808 - 1867) in his memory.
Bonchurch grotto plaque
This memorial was refurbished by Ventnor Town Council in 1985
From the plaque, Captain Huish retired to Bonchurch following a career in the Indian Army and then involved with railway construction. In his retirement he built several houses in Mitchell Avenue Ventnor. He also started the local geological collection.
Inside Bonchurch Village Road grotto
Above the water trough within the grotto, a more modern, circular plaque has been added with the inscription:
IN MEMORY OF
9-8-22 - 18-11-2000
HE CARED FOR
See also: Ventnor
- Bonchurch(By Admin: last updated - 21 Mar 2020)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.