The Binstead Cemetery, on Cemetery Road, off of Binstead was established in 1857 by the Binstead Burial Board. The total cost was about £300 for building, drainage, fencing etc, The architect was T. Hellyer of Ryde and the builder, Mr. J. Hutchins..
The Burial Board was absorbed by Ryde Borough Council in 1933 under the Isle of Wight Union Act.
The cemetery was extended in 1948 and again in the mid 1960's.
With the local government changes in 1974, the cemetery, like the others under Ryde Borough Council, came under Medina Borough Council; in 1995, it was taken over by the Isle of Wight Council following the creation of the IW Unitary Authority.
The Ryde Social Heritage Group (RSHG), based in Ryde Cemetery have been involved recorded the burials. Their website includes much useful information including details of burial, often with pictures graves and details of memorial inscriptions.
See also: Binstead
- CemeteriesOther resources: Ryde Social Heritage Group (including Ashey Cemetery) Isle of Wight Council - Bereavement Services(By : last updated - 29 Jul 2019)
© Copyright 2016-2021 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.