Yarmouth road bridge over the western River Yar connects Yarmouth with the parish of Freshwater.
Brettell Handbook to the Isle of Wight (1840's) refers to 'a ferry between Yarmouth and the hamlet of Norton to facilitate communications'. In the 1850's a causeway was built across the estuary and a swing bridge was put in place to complete the link to Freshwater in 1863. This bridge has been replaced a couple of year since.
The bridge is designed to pivot about its middle to allow boats to pass through.
See also: Yarmouth(By Admin)
© Copyright 2016-2019 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.