Pittis/ Widows Rest Almshouses, Newport
About 1860, Mrs. Mary Pittis (wife of Richard Pittis) had "The Widows' Home" built, a block of six almshouses near Pan Bridge. (From her obituary, Hampshire Advertiser, 9 January 1869.)
From 19th century census returns and later street directories, the Pittis Almshouses were located east of the Shoulder of Mutton Public House in East Street (on the corner with South Street) going towards Pyle Street.
The 1881 census shows six dwelling referred to as the 'Pittis Alms Houses'. A 1931 Street Directory refers to them as the 'Widows Rest Almshouses'.
They have long since been demolished.
See also: Almshouses
- Newport(By Admin: last updated - 28 Dec 2018)
© Copyright 2016-2019 wightpedia.org.uk - All rights reserved.