The Shanklin Gas works was alongside the railway embankment at the south end of Landguard Manor Road.
Coal was transported by rail from Cowes to the gas works.
The company was nationalised in 1949 and became part of the Southern Gas Board.
The gas storage tanks were removed following the installation of a cross solent gas main in the 1970's to supply the island with Natural (North Sea) gas
After closure, the site was used for industrial use for a number of years before being developed with housing the the (2016) Lidl store.