The original East Cowes Gas Works were built in 1859 between Clarence Road and the river.
An accident in 1862 killed 2 people.
A new Gas works was built in Kingston Road during the 1920/30's and the original site then became a boat yard; later becoming part of Saunders-Roe (subsequently known as Westland Aerospace, GKN).
When the UK gas industry was nationalised in 1948, the company became part of the Southern Gas Board.
The Kingston Road Works closed when the island was converted to Natural Gas (North Sea).