Dr (Ernest) Wyndham Cottle inherited Ningwood Manor House in 1895 from his uncle, Thomas Cottle, previously a vicar of Shalfleet.
On Wyndham's death in 1919, he made several bequests to the local community - one being a legacy to build a new ward at the Royal Isle of Wight Hospital in Ryde.
The Wyndham Cottle Ward ground floor wing at the south end from the front elevation, was opened by Princess Beatrice in 1922.
Later, another ward was built over the Cottle Ward, the funds for which (and some building materials), were organised by Miss Calthorpe (brother of Admiral Gough-Calthorpe of Woodlands Vale house).
All these buildings were demolished in the 1990's.